Saturday was BB’s 35th birthday. Unfortunately for him, I was up all night sick on Friday night, and sick and pregnant trumps birthday every time. He says it was his favorite birthday ever because no one required him to do anything, there were no plans, and he got to do whatever he wanted [which was work and watch Parenthood]. So noted for next year.
In other good news, Christmas music and movies are fair game now that we are past the birthday.
Now that I am recovered, I can write my birthday blog post. In honor of my sweetheart, here are 35 unique things that I love about him.
1. See opening paragraph. His birthday dream is for no one to talk to him so he can work all day.
2. If given his way, he would eat all his meals over the sink in the kitchen without utensils or plates so as to avoid having to do dishes (or talk to anyone – see no. 1, no talking is a big thing for him).
3. He packs his lunch (and often dinner) every day of the week.
4. He needs to eat at least one serving of peanut butter a day (preferably more).
5. He has the will power of a Navy Seal. I don’t think he cheated once in seven months of fasting and would have kept going if I had let him.
6. Sweets are not his thing. He will eat one bite of an ice cream sandwich and then out it back into the freezer. Thus, it will take him two weeks to eat one ice cream sandwich. He will often look for something I baked weeks later and be shocked that there is nothing left.
7. He rides his bike to work. I find that adorable.
8. He ran the Chicago marathon in tiny hot pink shorts so that it would be easy for me to find him.
9. The first CD he ever bought was Lionel Richie’s “Hello” because he had a crush on a girl, and the song Hello made him think of her.
10. He’s still basically only wearing seven items of clothing and hasn’t purchased a single thing for himself since the fast began in February.
11. He’s ridiculously smart, but he hates to read.
12. When he works from home, he wants me to sit next to him (but not talk, obviously).
13. Two years ago he led a week-long VBS at our church as the lead singer of a New Zealand rock band (we were into Flight of the Concords that year) complete with accent, and there are still people at church who think that he is from New Zealand (or England – people aren’t great with identifying accents).
14. When we went on our first date, BB said we needed to discuss two things before we went any further as a couple – first, I would have to take his last name should we marry, and second, I would need to be ok with our nine year old son spending two weeks at summer camp in Maine. I agreed to both since I liked the idea of having a new name and wasn’t particularly attached to our fictitious kids at the time. [Luckily I don’t have to worry about the camp thing any more since there’s no way BB would spend that kind of money on camp now even if we ever had it!]
15. Also when we were dating, BB’s friend Steve (the Prophet, as we call him) prophesied that I would break his heart. BB was quite distraught and got him to change the prophesy to “break his heart or marry him.” Both have come true.
16. When going on vacation, especially international trips, BB refuses to make any reservations for lodging until the last possible moment (i.e., we are tired and need somewhere to sleep). He really does not like to commit to reservations for anything. This has made for some fun times, to be sure.
17. Oh my. Only halfway through. This was sort of a big goal, eh? It took BB three months to read the first Harry Potter book because “he just couldn’t get into it.” What is wrong with him??
18. BB has an opinion about everything. Seriously. The words “whatever, I don’t care” have never come past his lips. Seriously, ask him about clothes, shoes, furniture, work, church, food, surprise parties, pets, child-rearing, breastfeeding, weddings, hair length, coming of age movies. He has a formed opinion about anything you can think of! It’s frustratingly charming.
19. BB lives a charmed life. He can leave late and arrive on time. He can miss a deadline to learn that it was extended. He can lose $10 and find $20.
20. He has a Facebook account, but I am not his friend.
21. He believes in me to an unreasonable level. I’m starting to believe him, and it’s getting risky.
22. He is an amazing uncle. He will play with his nephews for hours on end, is determined to learn about them, and has written songs for two of them so far (the rest are in the works.)
23. He never gives up. He will work on a project until it’s perfect. He sees the best in people and truly believes that they will reach it.
24. He loves Jesus. So much. His submission to God is commendable. His love for the Lord pours out in his love of others.
25. If he really has to hang out with other humans, he would prefer them to be homeless and/or immigrants.
26. He cooks, cleans, mops, does laundry, walks the dog. But he will NOT go to the grocery store. He would rather starve. In the extreme circumstance where I convinced him to go (I think I did once), he refused to take a list because “it’s like you’re telling me what to do when you’re not there.”
27. He has a lovely singing voice. Still makes my heart melt after all these years.
28. BB has fiercely close friendships (although you wonder how since he prefers to not talk to people…). He still has extremely intimate friendships with guys from growing up, high school and college.
29. He once tried to compliment me by saying that I looked like a Jordache ad.
30. He was kind of a chauvinist when I met him [he would tell people that he married me for my “young womb”], but now he’s a total feminist and will tell you why it’s wrong to ask a woman to cover up while she’s breastfeeding and why there’s nothing wrong with boys wearing pink.
31. He has endless energy and is always up for the wackiest of ideas. He’s creative and spontaneous. Always keeps me on my toes.
32. BB is so kind. He couldn’t hurt a fly. He has a sweet spirit and loves to do things for people.
33. He is hilarious. Makes me laugh every single day.
34. He’s super hot. It’s not everything, but it goes a long way.
35. He loves me just the way I am.
My darling BB, I love you dearly and am so glad you were born. Halfway to 70! Not bad…